Link Calculator 2.0 BETA - Feedback

Tom

READ BEFORE POSTING: 

1. COVERAGE CALCULATION ACCURACY is limited by the quality of the map data used. Link Calculator 2.0 BETA uses FREE map data (SRTM) that are LESS ACCURATE around WATER BODIES, like rivers and lakes. Please keep that in mind while using the calculator, it's a freeware tool to provide you a ROUGH idea about the coverage. For more precision, you have to use a paid service such as Tower Coverage or similar.

2. MISSING CPEs - some of the major radio manufacturers, like Ubiquiti or MikroTik is not interested to cooperate with us. Thus we could not add most of their CPEs into the drop down menu. For these cases, please select the Generic 802.11ac or Generic 802.11n radio.

• 3 months later...
On 9/22/2020 at 2:00 PM, Honza said:

Please add MikroTik SXTsq 5 ac to the CPEs. Thank you!

Honza, unfortunately MikroTik is another manufacturer that is not cooperating with us - the data in the datasheet is not enough and they wouldn't give us what we need. The option you have is to use 'generic 802.11ac'.

On 9/22/2020 at 10:52 PM, JohnH said:

When you download the PDF it does not show the color field MCS like it does on the non-pdf screen. That would be nice. 

Hi John. It's technically rather complicated thing to do, despite it seems trivial. But when we do bigger future updates, we'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the tip.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Day

i like the  calculator but as you select the antenna why not add option to add the different radio types as well with an export to google earth with the indication where the antenna radius goes and cover for an example ubnt link calculator offers that experience but is limited to only there products

Hi Danny, thanks for the feedback, we're constantly collecting it and will consider it in future iterations! 

What do you mean by antenna radius? The distance an antenna can reach is determined by multiple variables and the result is always an information what signal strength (or MCS) you can work with, so the radius other manufacturers show is largely misleading and confusing.

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible to have multiple AP's on a site to plan what type of horns at what directions would be needed for good coverage? Like a multi AP map. The reason why is we are trying to do 60 degree frequency reuse and we may be able to do that at a certain distance with lowered TX power. Just need to see what ap's the client would see at what power from a certain point.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:24 PM, UintaDave said:

Would it be possible to have multiple AP's on a site to plan what type of horns at what directions would be needed for good coverage? Like a multi AP map. The reason why is we are trying to do 60 degree frequency reuse and we may be able to do that at a certain distance with lowered TX power. Just need to see what ap's the client would see at what power from a certain point.

Hi Dave, what you're asking about is completely sane and understandable. Our online tool however has not grown to be a 'planner' yet, it's a mere calculator, and it's a free tool. Thank you for your feedback, sometime in the future it is possible we will implement multi AP version, until then, if you have any further feedback, please share it!

Would be cool to get the Ubiquiti CPE range in there. 

• Rocket Prism Gen2
  • Powerbeam 5AC Gen2
  • Powerbeam M5

Also, when I use the Multi CPE option, MCS rates on graph don't show any higher than 9, I would think that most modern day CPEs are up to MCS rate 15 with 2x2 streams. When I do the single CPE option and try and see what the CPE would be like at different MCS rates on the slider, it won't allow me to go any higher than 11. Seems a bit off.

On 11/10/2020 at 1:25 AM, JP Moller said:

Would be cool to get the Ubiquiti CPE range in there. 

• Rocket Prism Gen2
  • Powerbeam 5AC Gen2
  • Powerbeam M5

Also, when I use the Multi CPE option, MCS rates on graph don't show any higher than 9, I would think that most modern day CPEs are up to MCS rate 15 with 2x2 streams. When I do the single CPE option and try and see what the CPE would be like at different MCS rates on the slider, it won't allow me to go any higher than 11. Seems a bit off.

Thank you for the comments! If you read the text at the top of this thread, you'd know UBNT is not interested to provide us the data necessary to add those radios/CPEs into the calculator.

Regarding the MCS - our calc shows them for ONE spatial channel. It is a survey tool we provide for free so you get an idea what you might expect, not a comprehensive planner with all gritty details. For more detailed settings/planning, I recommend to go with a paid tool.

Each CPE in the dropdown menu has max MCS based on the data from the manufacturers for ONE spatial channel, so I believe it is all good. After all, if you multiply the resulting throughput by the number of channels you'll get what you're looking for.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Jesse Archer said:

Would be really great if there was a button to export the generated overlays to KML so we can pull them into Google Earth?

Thank you for the feedback, we do update the calc within a particular cycle, so we'll look into it for the next iteration.

• 7 months later...
12 hours ago, And said:

Thanks for the calculator. It's heavenly.

It would be nice if it was faster (think faster, calculate). And it would still be nice if I could save the map, at least as a link, to come back and edit later.

We have a bunch of updates to the calc on the roadmap for this year, one of them being the 'save' option, so it will happen! The speed is a moot point - the tool is and will be free of charge. While speeding it up is a real option, we try to keep the cost of the calculations on our side reasonable given the amount of people using the calc.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it would be nice if entering basic data could retrieve a list of requirements for customer antennas. Example:

Frequency 5500 MHz, EIRP 30db, Noise floor -90, with CC60, for MCS9 CPE(SM) need to be:

Channel width 40Mhz

up to 300m - 13 dBi (dish)
450m 16 dBi
700m 19 dBi
900m 21 dBi
1.3km 24 dBi
1.4km 25 dBi

Channel width 80Mhz

220m 13 dBi
350m 16 dBi
480m 19 dBi
600m 21 dBi
900m 24 dBi
1km 25 dBi

12 minutes ago, And said:

I think it would be nice if entering basic data could retrieve a list of requirements for customer antennas. Example:

Frequency 5500 MHz, EIRP 30db, Noise floor -90, with CC60, for MCS9 CPE(SM) need to be:

Channel width 40Mhz

up to 300m - 13 dBi (dish)
450m 16 dBi
700m 19 dBi
900m 21 dBi
1.3km 24 dBi
1.4km 25 dBi

Channel width 80Mhz

220m 13 dBi
350m 16 dBi
480m 19 dBi
600m 21 dBi
900m 24 dBi
1km 25 dBi

thanks for the tips, we'll look into it

Horn → 80Mhz channel > Cambium Force 300-16 → Noise floor -90: MCS9 = 1.3km.

Horn → 80Mhz channel > Generic 802.11ac 16dbi  → Noise floor -90: MCS9 = 420m.

I can't believe it!

Is this a calculation error, or does Cambium have any special superpowers because the power regulation must be the same, or something else -what?