RF Genie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Hello, see the screenshot for the correct calculator setup for the link you talk about. UltraHorn would get you to MCS 7 at best given the distance. In this  case we'd recommend UltraDish 550 for both sides of the link. In this case you can go up to MCS 9. 

Thank you for your time and response, Tom.  I'll compare the 34dBi slant dishes with the RFE dishes.  I have another couple of links that are shorter and would probably suit the Ultrahorn better.  Still keen to try.  :)

21 minutes ago, Andrea Cnt said:

Hello Tom! Thanks for your reply.

What do you need?  Here you can find .ant files for antenna pattern.

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204952114-airMAX-Antenna-Data

Great response!!  :D  Given the direction Ubiquiti are taking with UNMS, UCRM, UPG etc, plus the equipment being released, I'm really excited to see Ubiquiti sharing data about antennas.  Ubiquiti antennas have served Frenetic well.  If another manufacturer produces an antenna that helps sell more Ubiquiti 'active' product....embrace them!!

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

Hi Andrea, we need the SNR requirements for EVERY channel width and MCS rate the radio supports. We did not find this data on UBNT webpage, nor in the datasheets of their CPEs.

Bit naughty, Tom,  Not finding the information on a webpage or a datasheet isn't quite the same as another manufacturer not cooperating with RFE.  😆

Hope you can ultimately collaborate.  Frenetic deliver to digitally deprived subscribers.  It's hard going but rewarding...not in the obvious financial sense.  Having quality manufacturers delivering better outcomes together is a win, win, win so far as I am concerned.  👍

4 minutes ago, Frenetic said:

Bit naughty, Tom,  Not finding the information on a webpage or a datasheet isn't quite the same as another manufacturer not cooperating with RFE.  😆

Hope you can ultimately collaborate.  Frenetic deliver to digitally deprived subscribers.  It's hard going but rewarding...not in the obvious financial sense.  Having quality manufacturers delivering better outcomes together is a win, win, win so far as I am concerned.  👍

We have tried to contact them about the data as well through various channels, or personal connections our people have with UBNT, but no success. ;)

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

We have tried to contact them about the data as well through various channels, or personal connections our people have with UBNT, but no success. ;)

Ah, well, in that case....shame on them.  😆

Truly, I understand the competitive case.  When it doesn't work, the loser is the customer (Frenetic) and the end user (Frenetic's subscribers).  Hopefully both companies will benefit from some collaboration.  Meanwhile...I'll keep asking questions.  😁

• 8 months later...
On 6/8/2020 at 10:33 AM, Andrea Cnt said:

Hello Tom! Thanks for your reply.

What do you need?  Here you can find .ant files for antenna pattern.

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204952114-airMAX-Antenna-Data

Hi Andrea, thanks for the effort! What we'd need though are the sensitivity data to each of the CPE radios. Some, like AF5X or LUT rocket have those in the datasheets but other than that, they do not :(

• 4 months later...
On 7/10/2021 at 11:01 PM, And said:

There would be a need for MCS11 (1024-QAM) and above provided by AX. I would like to plan a horn with a future reserve. Or tell me what to add or subtract to the existing MCS9 and how much?

We will add the Generic 802.11ax CPE device with the upcoming update as well (including any ax devices to which we get the needed data), so hang on there :) In the mean time, to be able to plan AX coverage you need to do the math by hand. For that you'd need detailed data of your devices - it's noise floor and SNR requirement for MCS 11. From the signal strength and SNR you get with your devices you can see if you can achieve MCS 11..

• Tom unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

What about EIRP? Perhaps this calculator could be made fairer and help to calculate it instead of the user, ie the calculation changes dBm instead of EIRP. And how far does it make sense to have horns with a different gain if the whole end is leveled at the transmitter's TX power to comply with EIRP?

In this sense, I can take any, 5 gain, 15 gain, everything in the end will be equal to for example 30-36 EIRP (possible MCS has any requirements) 30 = Gain-TXpower.

2 hours ago, And said:

What about EIRP? Perhaps this calculator could be made fairer and help to calculate it instead of the user, ie the calculation changes dBm instead of EIRP. And how far does it make sense to have horns with a different gain if the whole end is leveled at the transmitter's TX power to comply with EIRP?

In this sense, I can take any, 5 gain, 15 gain, everything in the end will be equal to for example 30-36 EIRP (possible MCS has any requirements) 30 = Gain-TXpower.

Thanks for the tips, we'll look into it in our future updates

It looks like the base for the topography and satellite imagery is Google Earth based and I've noticed you can IMPORT clients via .kmz files.

Would you be able to give us an EXPORT to .kmz button? Even if it were just the heatmap produced, we could overlay onto our GE maps and it would greatly help with deployment as well as serviceability.

10 hours ago, ajm said:

It looks like the base for the topography and satellite imagery is Google Earth based and I've noticed you can IMPORT clients via .kmz files.

Would you be able to give us an EXPORT to .kmz button? Even if it were just the heatmap produced, we could overlay onto our GE maps and it would greatly help with deployment as well as serviceability.

Hi Ajm, thanks for the feedback, we have bunch of updates in the pipeline that might include the export of the device locations. We'll look into exporting the heat maps as well. You'll know when it's out from our newsletter / social media updates..

On 7/30/2021 at 12:02 AM, Tom said:

Hi Ajm, thanks for the feedback, we have bunch of updates in the pipeline that might include the export of the device locations. We'll look into exporting the heat maps as well. You'll know when it's out from our newsletter / social media updates..

Great to hear, Tom!
I'll keep an eye out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/26/2021 at 10:01 PM, JohnH said:

Nice feature would be the ability to put multiple AP's on the same location. That way we can simulate the best layout of horns for a location without having to run each AP separately.

Thanks! 

Hi John, yes, I agree, the next round of link calc update is in the pipeline including this feature as well, so hang on there!

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Beacon-Dale said:

Would love the option to download as KMZ to import into google earth.

Hi Dale, it's in the pipeline for the following calculator update that will happen this year among other major updates.. so it'll take a little patience before it's out

• 2 months later...
  • Tom featured and unfeatured this topic
  • 4 months later...

Something seems off in this calculation.  I sent the .kmz file, in the zip.

I found it weird that I set the tower location and then imported the .kmz file for the CPEs and it moved the AP location to the middle of the CPEs.  That might be ok if you could do multiple sectors, but I don't see how I can do that.

rfe-calc-ptmp-20220821043854_pdf Satellite View.png

rfe-calc-ptmp-20220821043854.pdf RFElements FK-SBA NorthEast RAR.zip

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 4:57 AM, dmcdon said:

Something seems off in this calculation.  I sent the .kmz file, in the zip.

I found it weird that I set the tower location and then imported the .kmz file for the CPEs and it moved the AP location to the middle of the CPEs.  That might be ok if you could do multiple sectors, but I don't see how I can do that.

rfe-calc-ptmp-20220821043854_pdf Satellite View.png

rfe-calc-ptmp-20220821043854.pdf 500.52 kB · 0 downloads RFElements FK-SBA NorthEast RAR.zip 1.63 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, thanks for the feedback, we will look into it and get back to you.

Have a good day,

Jorge