30 degree horn very nice

amishgenius

So far the antenna is quite impressive. I never noticed how big the hole is below and close to the tower. Close customers have much better signal as compared to a regular sector with no downtilt, even on a tower that is only 140 ft. It is also very quiet. The gain is a bit lower than the ubiquiti sector. I was concerned that such a small antenna might not have quite the receive gain but it performs very well on receive as well as transmit. My furthest customer is 4 miles, with the closest one at several thousand feet.

The antenna is very well built, maybe to the point of overkill. But its a very refreshing change from trying to make everything as light and cheap as possible. This has a few drawbacks as there are more bolts to hold things in place, but I'm not sure what I would do different. For the most part you can tighten everything except the mounting bolts on the ground...where you can easily get to everything, and leaving only the mounting bolts for on the tower. So not bad at all.

I would attach some pictures, but seems like you can't with a new account :)

Edited by amishgenius

• 2 weeks later...

Nice.

Is your 30º not a bit down angled? I mean, the signal still is best in the centre so the most reach you get at the centre of the beam? To me it looks your centre hits the ground only some hundred meters away? Lifting the antenna might give you more reach while not loosing signal at short range since the antenna already has much more vertical coverage than any normal sector. I would lift it...

I have similar antenna to reach clients at 5 km. I have the antenna horizontal fit. The centre is aligned towards a client at 5.3km. This is a SEXTANT and I have -57/-55 (Tx/Rx seen at AP that has a 31dBm radio)

At the same time I have one client (SXT-lite) at 2km at least 100meters lower and 40 degrees out of the centre line. This client still has -49/-50 as signal (seen from AP).

Due the difficult situation (AP has to 'overlook' some trees at 15 mtr in the direction of its centre line) and the presence of at least 26 (!) 5Ghz frequencies amongst at least 8 with signals better than -70 (and my tower has in total 9 5Ghz radio's) we tried several solutions.

We tried a SXT-5HPacD SA (31dBm with 13dBi antenna), we tried a SXT-5HPacD (31dBm with 16dBi antenna), we tried a SEXTANT (30dBm with 18dBi antenna) and we tried a 30dBm NetMetal on a 19dBi Interline 60ª antenna.

But whatever we tried, or we did loose too much signal at the distant unit, or we did not have enough coverage on the sides. And at the same time all they had more noise from other AP's.

Now the 30ª Cone is fit with a rb922UAGS-5HPacD (031dBm) we have the best results and a very stable connection.

Although the unit is a bit heavy to carry up in a tower, when the mast mount is fit the aligning and fixing can be done with one hand...

The only minor comment I have is that the 3 horizontal pane fine adjustment bolts are a bit difficult to reach with an allen key if you are a bit in an ackward location! (Hanging with one finger in gusty gale while your glasses are splattered by the driving rain! :D )

• 1 month later...

Hello,

you can use our 30 degree Symmetrical Sector antenna for PTP links if you like to. Symmetrical Sector Antennas do not have sidelobes so you will collect much less stray signals that you might think but do not forget that the beam is 30 degree wide and symmetrical in all direction. If you are looking for narrower radiation angle, you can used our new UltraDish™ antenna which is aimed to be used for PTP links and also features TwistPort™ connector.

The distance should not be a problem but you have to consider the interference from the other client inside the 30 degree sector. Also the gain for such a distance is quite high. For PtP you should used antenna with narrower beam angle. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone can help me to find what of these antennas are the best choise in this escenario, 

Vented tower 2 arrays of 3 120° Ubiquiti 5 Ghz sector maximum distance client at 4.5 K.M most clients are in 1.5-2 K.M area of each tower some tower have 8 AP same antenna

Mostly Ubqitui Rocket M5 and Mikrotik Basebox 5Ghz Using UNIII Band.

Guest Mike
On 4/30/2016 at 6:13 PM, airgon said:

Anyone can help me to find what of these antennas are the best choise in this escenario, 

Vented tower 2 arrays of 3 120° Ubiquiti 5 Ghz sector maximum distance client at 4.5 K.M most clients are in 1.5-2 K.M area of each tower some tower have 8 AP same antenna

Mostly Ubqitui Rocket M5 and Mikrotik Basebox 5Ghz Using UNIII Band.

Airgon,

Can you please write me your phone number to PM so I can call you and discuss this scenario?

• Tom pinned this topic
  • Tom unpinned this topic