Experience with Symmetrical Sectors

JT

• 4 months later...

#RFelements Customer Experience: SPITwSPOTS (Homer, #Alaska).

McKenzie McCarthy of #SPITwSPOTS visited our booth at #WISPAmerica2016. See Mac speaking about their experience with RF elements® Symmetrical Sectors. And, yeah, the photos from Alaska are just super cooool :)

• Guest featured and pinned this topic
Guest zag0

Can someone please comment on front-to-back ratio being significantly better on 50 degree symmetrical sector (SH-TP-5-50) compared to others? We have a tower we'd like to sectorize using these antennas but are now contemplated whether to go with 7x 50 dg or 9x 40 dg.

Currently we're using conventional 15 dBi MIMO 120 dgs sectors and our customers are connecting from up to 3-4 mi (with few connecting from 5-7 mi). Would you suggest us to go with 40 dg sectors despite the poorer FtB ratio?

zag - the charts we show in datasheets are result of computer simulation. As regards back side radiation, the computer data show more radiation than we measure on real sample. It is known feature to us, it is related to the mathematical apparatus used in the simulation tool and I will not explain it, because I simply am not enough qualified to do it:) Long story short: we display (rather conservative) simulation, but you will achieve better result in real deployment.

50° horn shows better FtB, but unless FtB has specific reason for your deployment, let me point here that FtB as a mathematical number is not the "true magic" of these antennas. The main point of horn antenna is, that horns have no side lobes - they radiate the energy into one main lobe. On top of it, they have narrow beam width and moderate gain, so they do not pick the signal (noise) the same way as patch array sectors do. Patch array sectors display truly opposite mix of features: heavy side lobes / high gain / very wide beam width. There is truly no comparison.

Simply use the beam width that fits your coverage requirement. Let us know how the deployment went. 

In 2015 I was at Mikrotik User Meeting (MUM Prague 2015) as usual there you find exhibitors displaying their wares.   Then from a distance I notice at RF elements exhibition corner something that looks like a VSAT feed horn I heard about.

At the mum prague.png

I remember seeing a post on Mikrotik forum  (http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=92649&p=470628&hilit=Horn#p470628) about Simper with a horn-like antenna from RF Elements in January same year, and the usual discussion for and against the design even though the product was not available in the market.  I was really interested especially on the possibility it has in solving colocation interference, as that was a huge problem for me.
I have tried different ways of mitigating the colocation interference by spacing the antenna, buying the RF Amor shield. I even bought a titanium antenna with adjustable beam width from Ubiquiti (really pricey) just to experiment on solving the colocation issue. I did see some difference, but it was not meeting my objective. I couldn’t set any of my AP to more than 20 MHz channel width, doing that will degrade client connection and stability on most of the AP’s.  The only thing I didn’t try was using AP that works with GPS or those that support frequency reuse. I had discussed my colocation issue with Cambium in 2014 at GITEX in Dubai and their solution was for me to switch to Cambium AP’s. Unfortunately I didn’t want to miss the tons of features that is available on Mikrotik, so that route was going to be a bit expensive because my Network is 100% MPLS and 99% Mikrotik. So my quest is, get something that will solve my problems without losing my Mikrotik investment and design and at a reasonable cost.
With that in mind I approach RF elements at the MUM event in Prague. I asked all the questions and particularly if using simper will mean losing the love of my life “Mikrotik”. I was sure happy when he said they will support Mikrotik, Ubiquiti and Cambium AP’s and showed me sample of the various twist port adapters that I can use depending on the AP I want.  So that was reassuring.

At the mum prague with RF element.png

The other question is will it work as explained because I also got to know of other very good features that enhances receptivity and maintaining same wave form even when you change frequency and the ease to install. Well the taste of the pudding is in the eating, I just couldn’t wait for the RF elements horn antenna to be available. I couldn’t get to buy them early because my suppliers in Europe didn’t have in stock yet. So on my visit to Dallas (MUM again), I settled for six 40 degrees horn antenna with Mikrotik shielded twist port adapter because the 30 degrees horn were not available from the exhibitors in MUM.

So let us eat the pudding and find out how it tastes
With my finger crossed I replaced the first 90 degrees Ubiquiti Sector antenna with two 40 degrees RF elements horn antenna, with some simple tweaks on my network I had the two AP work side by side on same ssid but different frequency, making the two work like a single 80 degrees beam width antenna. With both AP set to 802.11a/n/ac at 80 MHz channel width, the colocation interference disappeared. In fact the other AP’s about fifteen meters away that I was yet to change didn’t show any sign of Interference from the two new 80 MHz at all. Before now I was forced to reduce Channel width to 20 MHz on all the AP's, including the ones with RF Amour and Ubiquiti Titanium antenna because of collocation Interference. Before now Some of the AP's performance were so bad that I could hardly do more than 2Mbps per client even with signal strength of -67db.
RF elements, this pudding (RF elements Horn Antenna) really tastes good.

Horn antenna.pngHorn antenna and ubnt.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there!

Here comes my experience:

I replaced a UBNT Titanium sector (60º, 21dBi) with a Simper 30º horn in order to try reducing interference at my site -there's a tower side by side with a whooping +15 AP count, even with omni antennas (!)-. The 30º horn lobe just touch the visual line of the offending tower.

Performance wise average signal levels have dropped about 3dBi, but most of the chains in all the receivers are even -the sector caused accused imbalance between chains in some clients-. Colocation interference is still present, but I can now enjoy predictable connectivity, and weather conditions doesn't seem to affect the links as much as with the previous sector.

By the way, I'm loving the new PRISM adaptor!!! Should you need testers in the harstest of elements, give me a call! ;)

Regards from Spain!

Sin nombre.jpg

• 3 months later...

Daniel Gracia,

TwistPort™ Adaptor for Rocket 5AC Prism is now available so you can finally try it :) Here is the link for stock locator.

On 6/24/2016 at 7:02 PM, Daniel Gracia said:

Hi there!

Here comes my experience:

I replaced a UBNT Titanium sector (60º, 21dBi) with a Simper 30º horn in order to try reducing interference at my site -there's a tower side by side with a whooping +15 AP count, even with omni antennas (!)-. The 30º horn lobe just touch the visual line of the offending tower.

Performance wise average signal levels have dropped about 3dBi, but most of the chains in all the receivers are even -the sector caused accused imbalance between chains in some clients-. Colocation interference is still present, but I can now enjoy predictable connectivity, and weather conditions doesn't seem to affect the links as much as with the previous sector.

By the way, I'm loving the new PRISM adaptor!!! Should you need testers in the harstest of elements, give me a call! ;)

Regards from Spain!

Sin nombre.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Tom unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • Tom pinned this topic