TwistPort Reach

aardvarkglory

I am going to put up a new Trylon 80' tower in April and plan on using the TwistPorts on this one for the first time.  I am a little concerned about reach as I am really high on a mountain with stuff below it and far out.  I am going to attach a map with the sector plan.  The GPS is 46.159300, -115.979612 for those that can look it up in the 3D view on Google maps and give me any suggestions.  I am mostly concerned about coverage between the green lines on the attached map.  I would be grateful for any help on this as mistakes cost greatly.  Also if anyone has suggestions on sector arrangement, let me know.  I will be using Ubiquiti Rocket AC radios.

Thanks

Dan

Network Map 2.jpg

@aardvarkglory Thanks for the post.  I will be happy to work with you on this.  The biggest issue I see is getting signal into some of the valleys.  You cant transmit through hills :)

Distance is not an issue here.  The longest link seems to be around 5 miles and 30deg Horns will do that easily. Even the 40, 50, 60deg Horns are spec'd at 5-6 miles.  What we may need to play with a bit is the down tilt of the Horns.  You should not need much as you are only about 1500 ft above most of the customers that I can see. Probably something like 3-4deg.

I will send you a PM with my email so we can talk in more detail.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish you guys did not take this conversation offline as I am also at the "To tilt or not to tilt" crossroad.

My 60 degree horns will be mounted on a 150 feet tower and my furthest customer away will be... 4 miles maybe?

Tasos - Can you give us a rule of thumb here?

@Arcee   Theoretical maximum distance with 16dBi client and SH-TP 5-60 (and maximum output power) is around three miles so for the furthest client use at least 19dBi client. In such a case you can use around 10° downtilt to not spread your signal too far. 

Yes, that is true. We are working on solution that will help you to set desire downtilt. However for now, the only way is to try it - start we smaller downtilt (e.g. 5°) and if it looks that you are shooting too far add more.