Asymmetrical Horn Alignment

Chevy

With symmetrical horns it feels pretty cut and dry in regards to what azimuth to point them to as well as downtilt.

With asymmetrical horns however it feels, at least to me, a little more involved.   For these, since the elevation beamwidth (I'll use the 90 degree horn as an example that has a 25 degree vertical beamwidth at the -6db mark), is the optimal process still the same?  By that I mean, you take your 25 degree v-beam, divide it in half and then not exceed that margin on downtilt (in this example it would be 12.5 degrees)?

Or, are most people finding that keeping it at 0 the most successful option when modifying up/down tilt?

Hi Chevy, the downtilt with both Symmetrical and Asymmetrical horns is a parameter in link design. In our link calc you can see what the coverage looks like with both when you change the tilt. So the optimal process to figure out downtilt is to use the calc and see if you cover the area/customers you want with sufficient MCS rate. 

The beam width is antenna parameter giving you an idea on what an antenna might be better suited for (narrow beam = PTP, wide beam = PTMP), but ultimately antenna is a tool in your hands so you use it as you need.

Generally the downtilt of horns should be as high as possible - it helps avoiding collecting the noise from distant sources (unless the source is right under the tower of course :)) provided you still have the coverage/throughput you need.

*Never mind the badges, we just updated the forum :)

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Hi Chevy, the downtilt with both Symmetrical and Asymmetrical horns is a parameter in link design. In our link calc you can see what the coverage looks like with both when you change the tilt. So the optimal process to figure out downtilt is to use the calc and see if you cover the area/customers you want with sufficient MCS rate. 

The beam width is antenna parameter giving you an idea on what an antenna might be better suited for (narrow beam = PTP, wide beam = PTMP), but ultimately antenna is a tool in your hands so you use it as you need.

Generally the downtilt of horns should be as high as possible - it helps avoiding collecting the noise from distant sources (unless the source is right under the tower of course :)) provided you still have the coverage/throughput you need.

*Never mind the badges, we just updated the forum :)

Update looks nice, and thanks for the tip.

34 minutes ago, Tom said:

If you'd like, we can set up a call and I can show you how to optimize the downtilt step by step. Let me know..

I appreciate the offer, however your link Calculator is pretty self explanatory with the downtilt.    I still look forward to the calc being able to export .kml or .kmz files in a future update.