60 Deg Symmetrical TP Horn

Hello, I'm trying to see what downtilt I need to have for the 6 60deg horns that I will be installing on a water tower in my home town.  The Rail they are mounted on is approx 135 feet high and the closest possible customer is approx 80 feet away.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

@Brandon Lege- Based on the distances and CPEs you will use you don't need much down-tilt at all with a 60deg Horn for everyone to get great signals as long as its LOS.  If you want to use down-tilt to limit exposure at the horizon I would suggest about 10deg to start but no more then 15deg to ensure your customers at 5km stay in the low -60s.

With all that said, please consider these Horns are about 8-9db less gain overall then traditional sectors so by default you are limiting your horizon TX and RX capabilities.  The math says 10-15deg down-tilt max, but I feel 5deg is all you need.

@Brandon Lege-  Distance of Horns are based on many variables.  No antenna has a fixed distance assigned to it. Noise, CPE used and acceptable modulation rate are just a few things to consider when answering your question.

If you used a NB25 type CPE you can do 4Km to a 90deg Horn if you stayed in the -3db beam and maintain low to mid -60s for signal.  If you tried your NB16 at 4Km you would be in the -70s. That same NB16 to a 60deg Horn will see something in the mid -60s.  If you use the correct CPE for your particular Horn both 60s and 90s will work and in most cases achieve full good mod rates.

• 3 weeks later...

We are deploying our first Horn tomorrow! It is at 60° being installed at 180'... What tool are you using to determine downtilt? And also is there a datasheet that shows the V beamwidth? Or is that a dumb question since this is horn?

I use Kathrein to determine downtilt FYI.

Thanks

Tim

Edited by timotaofx

Guest Mike

@timotaofx,

we do not have a tool for calculation of a downtilt for now. However I can help you to determine the best downtilt for you if you provide me with following information: high of the tower, TX output power of AP, CPE gain and maximum distance of your CPE.

V beamwidth is the same as H beamwidth, so for SH-TP 5-60 it is 60° at -6dB. Please check following datasheet: 

https://www.rfelements.com/assets/Uploads/Datasheet-Symmetrical-Horn-SH-TP-5-60-1.pdf 

Guest Mike

Sorry my fault I missed it :)

For a 60° horn at 180' and 22dBi CPE I would recommend you to use 15°-20° downtilt in order not to spread signal too far.